Sunday, June 6, 2010

Can I climb up in your lap?

Seems like it's been forever since I've blogged!  But today, the boys are still napping and Anna is happily occupied, alternately between dancing around the room singing and sitting at my feet, playing with random toys.  This morning at church, Kenny sang a song by MercyMe called "Keep Singing".  If you're not familiar with it, it's a short little song about how during the midst of all our pain and suffering, when we wonder how we'll ever make it through, we've got to (yep, you guessed it!) keep singing.  There's a part in the middle that talks about climbing up in God's lap:  "Can I climb up in Your lap?  Hold me, Lord; rock me, Lord... I don't want to leave."  Kenny talked about how anyone who's ever been a parent knows how it touches your heart to have your kids climb up in your lap for a cuddle.  Well, that got me to thinking...  and to crying...  because that morning I'd been so busy trying to get the kids ready and out the door for church (still didn't make it on time!) and busy fighting with Noah aobut silly things, that when Anna Grace came over and wanted me to pick her up, I was irritated.  Yes, irritated.  It makes me feel guilty all over again as I'm typing that!  I didn't want to slow down and take the few minutes to see what she wanted or needed or even just to savor the experience of holding my daughter close for a second or two during the hustle and bustle.  I should be relishing those precious moments and not taking them for granted.  What does it matter if Noah wants to wear his batman pajamas?  I mean, does it really matter, in the grand scheme of things? 

So as I'm typing this, here comes Anna Grace, wanting up in my lap again...  think I'm going to even hesitate to cut this short and cuddle with my precious daughter!  Nope!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I can relate to this. It's just hard sometimes to keep the focus. Being a Mom is not easy but what a great reminder to slow down and enjoy what's right in front of us. This blog post was a great one for me to happen upon this afternoon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete