Tuesday, October 18, 2005

A Caffeine-Induced Rambling about Squirrels

It's Tuesday. One of those beautiful autumn days when there is a briskness in the air and the sky is so clear and blue that it makes me smile to catch a glimpse of it through the trees. I can see tons of trees from my new office. Our company moved October 1st to the next building over - a lot of hassle, but it's a great office space with a great view of some really cool trees in the courtyard. Plus it's a block closer to my place - how convenient is that! Anyhow, as I work I get an occasional glimpse of a bird or a squirrel frolicking in the branches that seem to hang directly over my monitor. Makes me jealous! What a life - a life free from obligations, free from responsibilities, free from the doubts and worries and anxieties that trouble me as a homo sapien living in the good 'ol U.S. of A. Free. What a concept! The Word says that "The truth shall make you free" and that we are "free indeed". Free. What does that mean? Well, let's just think about that a bit, shall we? Sometimes when something is free I think that means it's of a lesser quality, like there's a catch there or some reason why they're giving it away. Like those free vacation nights we get faxes about on a daily basis: "Free 5 night getaway to Aruba!" "Free diamond ring with purchase!" "Buy one, get one free!" But there's always the fine print: shipping not included, airfare not included, a new definition of the word "diamond". There's usually some sort of marketing scheme behind the freebies it seems. But not always. And in this case, this definition of "free" isn't really what I was talking about. Free being "without cost". In that sense, we were certainly purchased with a cost (Jesus' death on the cross - but that's a whole 'nother story!). Back to the squirrels... how about "free" meaning without inhibition? Not in a bad sense, as in loose or easy, but in a good sense. Unrestrained, perhaps.

Do squirrels get tense about anything? Do they cogitate over what the squirrel on the next branch thinks of them? Uh... no! 'Course I don't really think that squirrels think about much other than "hey! an acorn! hey! another acorn! hey! a car to run out in front of and then dart back in forth like an insane indecisive furry freakazoid! hey! another acorn!" But maybe I'm selling them short. Maybe they have entire squirrel societies, with a grand poobah squirrel who wears a big obnoxious hat made of acorn hulls and pinestraw. Maybe - you know maybe there's such a thing as having too much caffeine in too little time? Why on earth did I just type for like five minutes about squirrels??? And now when I glance up at my favorite tree in the courtyard, all the squirrels are conspicuously absent. Did they strip it clean and decide to migrate to another habitat? Or are they passed out after some squirrel debauchery on one of the higher branches that I can't see?

The leaves are turning here in Georgia. I love fall! Fall means football weather - go dawgs! Yep - I'm a diehard Georgia Bulldogs fan. And they're currently pretty doggone high in the BCS rankings! Yippee! A friend of mine is a Florida fan. It's actually pretty sad. I mean, to talk to him, you'd think he was a nice guy, intelligent, got a good head on his shoulders, pretty wise... but then you find out that he has huge errors in judgement! I mean, Florida?? C'mon! Gators ain't good for much, in my humble opinion. For that matter, anyone in orange is suspect: Auburn, Tennessee, Clemson... but Florida is by far the worst! I can't wait for the Ga/Fla game. Mainly because I'm hoping my poor friend will see the error of his ways and repent and turn to the light! Gators=bad. Bulldogs=good. Orange=evil. Red & Black=purity and light! I need to come up with some creative bets for the outcome of that game... I'll have to think about that for a while.

Oops! My coffee cup is empty. I can feel the energy draining from my cells.... am getting groggy... am s l o w i n g d o w n , listing sideways in my chair, drool running down my chin. Can i make it to the kitchen before my brain waves cease to function entirely? Must... hang ... on. Must... stay... strong.....

{Will she survive the caffeine withdrawals?? Tune in for the continuing saga: same Bat time, same Bat channel}

{Hey! Batman Begins releases today on DVD! Cool!}

1 comment:

  1. Just want you to know that I am laughing out loud, making a big scene in the Higher Grounds Coffeehouse in Kansas City. That is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I do need to bring some clarity to the whole squirrel-kingdom thing. There is a head squirrel...I happen to be good friends with him. His name is (ironically enough) Freedom. He has a wife, dozens of kids, and too many grand-squirrels to mention. He does NOT however where a hat made of acorn hulls. In fact, he would find that quite insulting; He wears what any self-respecting squirrel wears: A Gator hat, jersey, and orange pants!!! Go Gators!!!!

    ReplyDelete