Monday, March 1, 2010

Roasted Turnips, A Goal Met, and Cravings for Chocolate...

Well, tonight we tried another new veggie for us: roasted turnips. They were actually much better than I was expecting! My husband's comment was that they were like potatoes, but a little sweeter. One thing I didn't do but that I had read somewhere was to soak the turnips in milk first to take some of the bitterness away? We were out of milk so I skipped that step... but they turned out pretty good regardless.


I feel so adventurous, experimenting with all these vegetables! They may not be new and exotic veggies to some, but to our little family, eating veggies this often in the past was a foreign concept!

Tomorrow's my weigh in day! Since I am somewhat a daily weigher (I know, know - that's bad, but I just can't resist!), I think I've met my next mini-goal of 20 lbs! I hope I'm not jinxing myself by celebrating early, since it ain't official 'til in the morning, but this morning the scale showed a loss of 3.2 lbs since last Tuesday, making my grand total 21.8 lbs! Hallellujah and praise God!! This was a huge goal for me on many levels - one being that it will mean I'm only 1.2 lbs away from 217, which is the smallest I've been since meeting my husband. And the other is the fact that my reward for meeting this goal was getting my hair highlighted and cut... something it is in dire need of! It looks bad enough that a beautician stopped me at the mall a few weeks ago and gave me her card, saying, "I noticed you needed some color work done..." LOL

You know the weird thing, though? Even with this mini-goal met, I've been rather down today and last night. Don't know why, but have been wanting chocolate - purely emotional eating, I know. And I haven't succombed - but the desire is there. But that's OK - I'll just drink some more water and have a chocolate shake here in a bit and remind myself of how great I've been feeling these past 7 weeks and of how great I'm going to feel as I get healthier and thinner! Being thin isn't going to magically make everything in my world right and make me happy all the time or solve all the world's problems or bring about peace and harmony in the universe... but I can't wait until I'm there, nonetheless!

1 comment:

  1. I love to use turnips in soups, or mash them up like creamed potatoes., yummm.
    My newest veggies are roasted beets- pretty good actually, and fresh brussel sprouts sauted with garlic (Denise's recipe)this is excellent!

    ReplyDelete