Saturday, February 27, 2010

Road Trip, New Bible Study, and First Goal Met!


Today we drove down to Powder Springs for Grammie's Retirement/Birthday party.  Basically a 2 hour drive from our house.  Not terribly bad, but with two kids, one of which is just learning the phrase "are we there yet?" and the other who was fighting sleep the entire time?  Not my idea of a fun two hours!  The picture of Greg was on the way down, fairly early in our trek.  By the time we got home tonight, if he'd had hair, he would have pulled it out.  I do have hair, but decided to forego pulling any of it out, although the urge was definitely there!

On the way down, we listened to Paper Tongues (to get us hyper and happy - love the song "Ride to California"!), some old Derek Webb and a little Caedmon's Call.  It's a good thing Gregory doesn't mind me singing along at the top of my lungs - my singing voice is no where near on par with his!  But my exuberance surely must count for something.  Noah played air guitar and air drum occasionally, when he wasn't playing with his Star Wars figurines, and Anna Grace would chime in with various sound effects sprinkled throughout.  Her "singing" is quite interesting to say the least!

It was a nice retirement/birthday party.  Lots of yummy party food there, including some delicious looking punch, chips & dip, fruit with fruit dip, and lots of little finger sandwiches... and one big 'ol cake, smack dab in the middle of the table.  I had prepared myself to withstand the onslaught of temptation by eating a Medifast Peanut Butter Crunch bar before we left Grammie's to walk over to her friends house for the get together.  And I stayed busy with the kids and with socializing while at the party to keep from partaking.  At one point, I resorted to serving other folks their cake and fetching an elderly lady some coffee to keep it from being too obvious that I wasn't eating.  Didn't want it to be a big deal and offend the hostess or anything, you know?  But I definitely considered it a victory that I didn't even sample anything...  thankfully, Grammie and Greg fed the kids so I didn't have to endure that!  :)

We had intended to go to the Percolator Coffeehouse tonight for Bible Study on the way home and to visit with our friends who congregate there on Saturday nights.  But by the time we got to Summerville, we had two very tired kids and two very tired adults.  Neither kid had napped worth much of anything at all today, so they were a trifle grumpy.  We did stop by my folks house for a potty break and ended up eating supper with them and staying for a little bit, which was nice because that made the kids happy and gave the two tired adults a respite!

One good thing about not making it to the Coffeehouse was the fact that we made it home by 8:00 and got Anna in bed fairly close to her bedtime.  Which means that with Noah happily playing, Mommy and Daddy get to relax at home and just veg for a while.  Thank You, Lord!

I do hate that we missed the Bible Study, though, because it sounded extremely interesting!  They were beginning a series on the feasts in the Old Testament, explaining them in greater detail.  That's a subject I don't know much about but am very fascinated with.  Growing up, it wasn't a subject that I ever really remember anyone talking about at all, other than a passing phrase here or there.  But several of our friends celebrate them and the celebration adds such a richness to their faith.  The first time I went to a Passover Seder, I was amazed and intrigued by how the ancient customs that Jesus celebrated Himself were all interwoven with His life and death.  So I was really looking forward to learning more tonight.

Hopefully, we can make it down there for the Study next week...  Summerville's not that far away or anything, but getting anywhere on a regular basis for us these days isn't easy!  But maybe it'll happen...  I can hope, right?

And even though it's not official, I met my first mini-goal of my weight loss journey - 20 lbs lost!!  Hallelujah!!!!!  It won't be official until Tuesday on my weigh-in day, but this morning my scale showed a loss of 21.6 lbs.  Needless to say, I was excited!  My excitement was increased by the fact that this means I get my first "reward":  getting my hair cut and/or colored.  I've been in dire need of something for weeks now, but was holding off since that was good incentive to stay on plan.  Whew!  Now I can finally get something done!  Thank You, Lord!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment