Saturday, February 13, 2010

Temptations on Valentine's Eve

In my life pre-Medifast (aka, up until 3 weeks ago!), Greg and I would have carefully planned our Valentine Date Night.  We would have picked one of our favorite restaurants (P.F. Chang's probably - yumo!) and would have gotten my folks to keep the children for the evening.  Last time we went to P.F. Chang's, we ordered multiple appetizers, an entree a piece, plus dessert (a full sized one and a mini!).  We would have polished it all off and enjoyed ourselves immensely.  No wonder we're both the size we are!!  

This year, our Valentine's date was a little more restrained.  We went to O'Charley's (early - around 5-ish) and I did splurge and order the prime rib (entirely too fatty for Medifast unfortunately) with asparagus and a side salad (no croutons, balsamic vinaigrette on the side).  The prime rib was the first time I went off plan knowingly, so I'm feeling really guilty about that.  But tomorrow's a new day and I plan to get back on track!  I did manage to not give in when Gregory mentioned dessert (he's going back on the diet on Monday) and so we left without ordering appetizers or dessert - downright miraculous for us!  We had a great time, though.  Actually a great afternoon/evening all around.  Greg's mom left to head back to Mississippi around lunchtime and my folks were keeping the kids, so we actually got to have (gasp!) couple time!  Hallelujah!  :)  For those of you who do not have kids, believe me when I say that you have to grab your time when you can!  So an entire afternoon to ourselves was priceless indeed and was exactly what we both needed.  Sometimes it's great to get to just hang out with the one you love and just BE.

So things were progressing along quite nicely this evening - watching a little Backyardigans with Noah, typing on this post... when suddenly he asks for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  OK, not a problem.  PB&J's not one of my favs, so usually it's not a temptation for me.  But when I get into the kitchen I see 3 separate kinds of candy that Greg's mom bought the kids for Valentine's.  That got my attention.  But, OK, still not a problem.  I can handle this.  OK.  Unwrap the bread...  ever notice how good fresh bread can smell and well, feel?  Soft and a little mushy?  Now for the peanut butter...  unfortunately, it's some G's mom bought while she was here which means it's creamy... my favorite.  Greg prefers the Jif Extra Crunchy - not nearly as tempting.  Spreading it on the bread... resisting the urge to lick the knife!  Then the jelly, which unfortunately Noah "helped" with, resulting in jelly on my hand and my arm.  Had my hand halfway to my mouth before I caught myself!  Not good!  Must resist!!

I had planned to fix myself a yummy Medifast french vanilla shake and add some new flavoring drops that came in the mail today (pina colada flavor - yum!) but decided that the kitchen was NOT a safe place to be tonight.  So I grabbed a Medifast Peanut Butter Crunch Bar and a glass of water (along with Noah's still tempting PB&J) and headed out at record speed.  Whew!  Disaster narrowly averted.

But I have to say that overall, I have not been tempted much on this diet.  I went to a party today at a friend's house and she had cupcakes and chip & dip.  Didn't phase me at all.  I haven't been hungry, thanks to the requirement that you eat every 2-3 hours.  So it's much easier to not succumb when temptation knocks.  That plus the fact that according to my scale this morning I've lost almost 15 lbs so far (my official weigh in isn't until Tuesday, so I'm not "counting" that yet...).  But knowing that this is working is definite incentive to stay on plan.  Even when chocolate Valentine's candy is beckoning and when Noah has PB&J breath all evening...  I WILL do this.  With much prayer and with God's help, I will lose weight and be healthy by the time I'm 40!  Only 8 months to go..... scary thought!

2 comments:

  1. Melanie, I thoroughly enjoyed your blog!!! I love reading your stuff, you are so funny!! You do have a great sense of humor, that is one of the things I like about you so much!! You gotta laugh!! My new motto. Anyway, I am so proud of you!! You are doing awesome!!! Keep going, someone once told me that no food tastes as good as skinny feels!! I keep that in the back of my mind when I want to eat something yummy....which I do... maybe with your diet you can't (I think you can every once in awhile)I am not on a "diet" I am on a change the way I eat and get off my butt and exercise thing....Now the exercise is easy for me since I have been back into doing it for 3 weeks now but some food just calls my name, (chocolate milk) so I resist most of the time. I give myself a pass to cheat on my "eating good thing" and then I get back to the grind....If I say everything good and fattening is "OFF LIMITS" then I give in more....I guess it is just my sinful nature. ;-) I am proud of you Mel!!!! and gosh darn it, you deserved that Prime Rib!! Don't feel guilty, just get on the wagon again...or is it off? I don't know. LOL!!! You are awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete