Friday, February 26, 2010

Zucchini Curls - Oh my goodness...

Tried a new recipe tonight that I got from the MF Discussion Boards - Zucchini Curls.  Oh my goodness, how divine!  Whoever came up with recipe, thank you, thank you, thank you!  I wasn't sure whether we'd like them so I only made enough for me and Greg to have basically one serving each.  I then ended up keeping most of them myself - at first because I didn't think he'd like them and then once I'd tasted them, it was sheer greediness.  I admit that quite freely.

Greg started MF with me back in January but keeps going off for one thing and then another.  He was doing really good this week - had started back on plan on Tuesday and was pretty much sticking to it.  Not 100% on plan, but not terribly bad, either.  But then this afternoon, despite my attempts to get him to eat a Medifast bar (even taking one to the store with us and offering it to him twice while we were out - going above and beyond in my opinion), he didn't eat anything until we got home, was "starving" and thus ate not one but TWO peanut butter sandwiches plus a boatload of chips.  So therefore I didn't want to share my yummy lean and green with him tonight at all!  But I did.  Tried to be encouraging and supportive and all that.  But I'm finding it hard to know when he wants me to push him and when not to.  When to be encouraging, and when to just shut up and let him eat what he wants...  there's a fine line between "encouraging" and "nagging", really, when you think about it.  Especially on something like this.  Part of me wants to do the tough love stuff... kind of like Jillian Michaels on The Biggest Loser, ya know?  Kick his booty into shape!  LOL - that's really not my style at all.  And I know that he beats himself up after he goes off the plan - starts feeling guilty and feeling like he's a quitter and all sorts of crazy things like that.  *Sigh*  Communication between spouses is difficult enough at times without adding something as volatile as diets and lifestyle changes to it!  So... didn't intend to say all that, but there you go.  Definitely a prayer request or four in there, so please say one for us regarding this next time you talk to your Heavenly Father!  I know it's the subject of quite a few conversations between me and God and will probably be the subject of many more in the days to come.

Anyway... back to those zucchini curls - they truly rocked!  They were good enough that he actually requested that I make them again really soon.  So I think I will...  the next test will be whether the kids will eat them.  We'll see.

So for those of you interested in the recipe, here 'tis:

2 zucchini, unpeeled
chicken broth
lf cream cheese

Cut strips from the zucchini with a veggie peeler, down to the seeds (don't put the seedy core in 'cause it will get mushy).  Put about 1/8 cup of chicken broth in a pan.  Once it gets hot, add the zucchini and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring fairly often.  Add the cream cheese and salt & pepper, stirring 'til the cheese is melted.  Eat immediately... 

I was thinking about trying it with the french onion laughing cow sometime in the future maybe?

If you try it, let me know if you enjoyed it as much as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment